Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpryan jtpryan is offline

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

On Jun 9, 12:06*pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
jtpryan wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
TD Driver wrote:
I'm in the same AT&T boat. *I have another server, TeraNews, that
offers a pretty good package for a one-time fixed fee of a couple of
bucks.
I've got too much stuff with ATT to drop 'em, but they are tops on my
list for terrible service. *When I signed up for my DSL, the sales gal
swore up and down that I'd be able to cover two computers at opposite
ends of my house with one connection. *She said 300 feet is quite
doable, so my 75 feet between units was easily doable. *Hah. *I now
have two DSL services in my house. *You think they'd give me a break
on the second service, right?
Larry
You DSL line SHOULD go to a router - even if you have only one computer
connected - because the router acts as a hardware firewall.

Once your router is online, you can connect multiple internet devices* to
the router. Say you get an 8-port router. One of the ports can host a second
router which now gives you a potential total of 15 connected devices. On the
second router, you can connect yet a third router for a (now) totals 22
computers, and so on. All sharing the ONE DSL connection.

You may need a 12-year-old male to help with the connections.

----------
* This includes not only computers but VoIP telephones.

Actually, I think you are confusing switches and routers. *The DSL
modem connects to a router, preferably wireless and typically with a
built in 4 port switch. *Then you can connect 4 wired devices and
numerous wireless devices to that. *If you want to connect more then 4
wired devices you can then buy a 4, 8, or 16 port switch, connect it
to one of the ports on the router and get more. *The router isn't a
true firewall, but does provide an acceptable level of defense for
most home networks via "NATing" or Network Address Translation.

Most routers do contain a "SPI firewall". *As well, most wireless
routers will allow MAC address filtering.

Anyway, paying for 2 DSL lines is not the solution unless you live in
a VERY large house, in which case you probably don't care about the
expense;+}. *Each Cat 5e wire can go 100 meters. *If you don't want to
pull wire then the wireless *might* get you 100 ft. *You can also buy
wireless repeaters which would give you more range. *Another option
would be using the power line network stuff. *All of this would be
cheaper then paying 30-40/month for another line.

Now that I have digressed from the original post...

I use Google Groups for news reading now. *No binaries, but it really
is better for reading groups like this one. *And it's free. *If you
want to share photos of projects then use one of the free web based
photo sharing services like Picassa. *No, I don't work for Google...

Jim

True, but that is only on the wireless side.