Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repairing a heat pump compressor braze

Richard J Kinch fired this volley in
:

Doesn't look to me like this has enough sound material left to be
spliced back together with a new braze.

Is there any good way to put a new fitting into the side of these
hermetically sealed compressor cans?

Richard, it looks to me like there's enough to do it wrong twice, and
still have enough for a good fix.

You can mount a nipple in a small backer plate, then weld that to the
can, but I don't like to introduce that much heat on the can itself.
Oil, paint, insulating coatings, etc. on the inside may char and end
up blocking a valve downline.

LLoyd