Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Sinclair {Was: More ecobollox}

The message
from Onetap contains these words:

On 9 June, 10:45, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On 08 Jun 2009 17:24:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I can't remember what boards I took my O and A levels with. But as you say
it did change very quickly. My O levels where the first year four function
calculators allowed at all, two years later at A level you could have a
multi function scientific calculator:

When I took my O and A levels slide rules were verboten. Log tables were
the order of the day. I think I still have a set of 7 figure log tables
somewhere in addition to the usual 4 figure ones.

I started at a Polytechnic in September 1976 with my shiny new
rechargeable calculator. One of the lecturers had a show of hands on
slide rules v calculators. I think about 2/3rds had calculators. He
commented that the previous year about 2/3rds had had slide rules.

I started at college (the brand new Beaconside site of what is now
Staffordshire University but was then a mere College of Technology) in
62/63. Some of us (me included) didn't know how to use a slide rule.

At some time we were introduced in passing to calculators when maths
turned very briefly to computers. That was the mechanical sort of
calculator where you had to wind a handle (among other things) in order
to perform a calculation. IIRC the college's 'new' computer was a
venerable English Electric Deuce that EECo had decided was too dated to
be useful in a commercial environment. Compiler on punched cards.
Programming onto punched tape using Alphacode. All very much a side
issue.

http://www.vintage-technology.info/p...mmodore/co4148...

Still have that, still works, though the internal rechargables gave up
years ago due to lack of use. Of course at A level it's not so much
getting the correct numerical answer but how you get there that is
important.

I have one in my desk drawer. I bought new batteries from Maplins a
few weeks back but the wires broke off with minor movements prior to
soldering. On having a better look, there seems to be quite a bit of
corrosion on the soldered connections. It did work, though I'm not
sure if I'll be able to resurrect it now.

I still have my Sun Hemmi bamboo slide rule (circa 1962) complete with
leather case and somewhere in the bookcase I have the instruction book
as well. I don't think I actually bought a calculator until some 20
years later.

--
Roger Chapman