Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default garage door opener

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:21:26 -0500, "trailer" wrote:

I am considering replacing my garage door opener. The present opener
(Stanley) has been in place since 1992 and has chain drive. It has worked
well.

I see that there are basically two types of openers, screw drive and chain
drive.

Are there advantages of screw type openers over the chain drives?

I would probably have the installation done by someone else-HD or Lowes.

Thanks.

I've found the screw drive easier to install and adjust and quieter. I
particularly like the newest Genie I have which is their "Excelerator"
model. It's opening speed is almost twice as fast as 'normal'. One
genie screw drive I've got is going on 30 years old.