Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Giblets Giblets is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

"Tim" wrote in message

"Steve W." wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:
The next image is shaping the ID of the web bores, and the one
below that is heat shrink fitting the webs to the pins in a big stack.
"image:shrink1.jpg" and "image:shrink2.jpg" No -- I don't see the
source
of the heat to expand the webs before shrinking them in place, but it
must be somewhere near there. :-)
I wondered how they fit those together. They're all cast in auto
enigines (or were) and I've seen huge old 20th century motors with
bolts going across the counterweights/webs for disassembly, IIRC.

Actually -- aren't they now forged steel instead of cast iron?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Most are still cast iron. Same with the camshaft and connecting rods.
The rule of thumb is that a cast crank is good to about 400 HP. Turning
at a max of 5K or so.

--

I think most automotive crankshafts are cast steel, not cast iron. Most
camshafts are indeed cast iron, but most connecting rods are still forged

On our side of the pond the bulk of automotive cranks used to be cast iron.
Some of the "performance" variants of engines would come with cast steel
cranks. We used to give them a tap to see if they were steel - the cast
steel ones would go "ting" and the cast iron ones would just make a "dank"
noise.