Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

"Steve W." wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:
The next image is shaping the ID of the web bores, and the one
below that is heat shrink fitting the webs to the pins in a big stack.
"image:shrink1.jpg" and "image:shrink2.jpg" No -- I don't see the
source
of the heat to expand the webs before shrinking them in place, but it
must be somewhere near there. :-)
I wondered how they fit those together. They're all cast in auto
enigines (or were) and I've seen huge old 20th century motors with
bolts going across the counterweights/webs for disassembly, IIRC.

Actually -- aren't they now forged steel instead of cast iron?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Most are still cast iron. Same with the camshaft and connecting rods.
The rule of thumb is that a cast crank is good to about 400 HP. Turning
at a max of 5K or so.

--

I think most automotive crankshafts are cast steel, not cast iron. Most
camshafts are indeed cast iron, but most connecting rods are still forged