Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

On 2009-06-09, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 9 Jun 2009 04:18:44 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2009-06-08, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope -- it is like a lathe cutter in the clapper box (to the
upper right in the first photo, and the upper left in the second photo.

[ ... ]

Ah, now that I know what I'm looking for/at, it's very clear. Thanks.

You're welcome.

[ ... ]

The next image is shaping the ID of the web bores, and the one
below that is heat shrink fitting the webs to the pins in a big stack.
"image:shrink1.jpg" and "image:shrink2.jpg" No -- I don't see the source
of the heat to expand the webs before shrinking them in place, but it
must be somewhere near there. :-)

I wondered how they fit those together. They're all cast in auto
enigines (or were) and I've seen huge old 20th century motors with
bolts going across the counterweights/webs for disassembly, IIRC.

Actually -- aren't they now forged steel instead of cast iron?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564