Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Tips on welding up a shaft

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a machine at work, I do not have to fix it in the next couple days
but I'd like to
fix it before they decide to scrap it since the production job is
currently running on a
tool room lathe I'd rather not have production near since I use the thing.

Anyway, if I fix it cheap, it stays, production goes back to using it and
I'm happy. There
is a shaft that got loose, wallered out the woodruff key seat and wallered
out the pulley.
The first thought is welding and turning it down.

I can't spray weld we are not equipped so that is off the table. The
metal adder
available is a wire feed welder.

The area needing rebuilding is located between two threaded sections.
That makes welding
a bit tricky.

Nevermind, welding isn't looking so great, I'm not that good.

Okay, is 1144 a good steel for making an input shaft for a lathe? It
isn't highly
stressed.

But since I posed the question, how would you build up a shaft where you
had to protect
the threaded sections and build up a damaged key seat. Might as well
learn something. You
only have a wirefeed welder to work with, no spray welder.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

I've had to do similar many times. I have welded shafts with the MIG while
slowly turning in the lathe. Rather than running beads, I do a series of
"Baps" and cool the shaft with a wet rag frequently. If you grease the
threads, spatter won't stick as well.