Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Tips on welding up a shaft

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a machine at work, I do not have to fix it in the next couple days
but I'd like to
fix it before they decide to scrap it since the production job is
currently running on a
tool room lathe I'd rather not have production near since I use the thing.

Anyway, if I fix it cheap, it stays, production goes back to using it and
I'm happy. There
is a shaft that got loose, wallered out the woodruff key seat and wallered
out the pulley.
The first thought is welding and turning it down.

I can't spray weld we are not equipped so that is off the table. The
metal adder
available is a wire feed welder.

The area needing rebuilding is located between two threaded sections.
That makes welding
a bit tricky.

Nevermind, welding isn't looking so great, I'm not that good.

Okay, is 1144 a good steel for making an input shaft for a lathe? It
isn't highly
stressed.

But since I posed the question, how would you build up a shaft where you
had to protect
the threaded sections and build up a damaged key seat. Might as well
learn something. You
only have a wirefeed welder to work with, no spray welder.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Once you touch a welder to the shaft it will bend and not run true. I
would try to shrink an oversized sleeve on the shaft and then machine it
back to size. Machine the shaft down about .100 under size and true it up
first.

John