Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Torn Lawence Torn Lawence is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
FWIW, there were built-up cranks used on some early motorcycles and other
small engines, as well. Some single-cylinder engines had press-fit crank
throws.

Quite a few still do.

And many of the current crop of small 2 strokes don't even have the
second side of the crank. They just have the crankpin sticking out with
the rod slid over it. Just like many of the model engines are made.

Yeah, I have one of those on my leaf blower.

I avoid those when I can afford to. If the pull starter is at the front
of the engine, there's likely a single-bearing cantilever crank with the
rear unsupported. Pull starter at the rear, there's another bearing at
the rear.
The two better weed trimmers I've owned - Black & Decker (McCullough)
and Echo - had rear starters.
The junkers, Craftsman (YardMachines), Ryobi, Homelite - had front starters.