Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

In article ,
"Steve W." wrote:

Many "modern" 2 strokes can still run in reverse, BUT the results can be
interesting. One of our members found that out with one of our Detroit
equipped engines! He pulled into a parking spot, managed to let the
truck roll forward a bit with the trans in reverse. OOPS. He hit the
emergency shut down after a couple seconds but not until a HUGE cloud of
smoke came out the intakes and showed off the mistake.

Embarrassing but essentially harmless if you shut it down quickly. The
cost in new air cleaner elements could get up there, though.

We used to play that trick on newbie drivers. Let them clutch stall a
GMC 71 Series and watch them panic as it started and ran backward.