Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical
mikey mikey is offline

Default type of plastic use in UK home electrical fittings

On 9 Jun 2009 17:10, PeterC wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:13:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tom wrote:
I think the main component is ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene
styrene), however i would imagine that the actual material
is a compound using a variety of additives such a titanium
dioxide (white), impact modifiers and stabilizers etc.

Thought the ABS group were at least slightly flexible? The
most common stuff used on sockets isn't. ;-)

Some lines, MK has one, use polycarbonate.

It's interesting to see you mention alternative plastics.

I asked the original question because the way the plastic broke
when I snapped out some holes for the cable was damn crude and
hard to control. I couldn't believe such hard to work plastic
was ever used in a product!

I was using some 16mm surface-mounted patresses to hold
telephone socket faceplates in a very visible location. They had
to look right.

I swore next time I wouldn't use some bargain 50p patress
because it was taking for ever and ever to get them right. Even
them the irregular jagged holes left by the snap-outs were ugly.

If had to pay several times the bargain price it would be good
value for time saved! The result would be better too.