Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building a closet...need some help

On 6/9/2009 11:50 AM Nail-In-Thumb spake thus:

I live in a ranch style house that has a room above the garage. I'd
like to install a closet so that I can "officially" count this room as
a bedroom (there is also a window in the room). All of the websites
that I've visited seem to recommend framing a closet in the existing
room, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut into the wall
to frame a doorway then build the closet on the other side of the
wall?

Of course. Often done this way; the closet is actually in the room on
the other side of the wall, but opens into the room w/the sloped
ceiling. Nothing special about it: just frame it in the other room, then
wall it in on both sides and finish the walls. (You'll want to design it
so it doesn't look funny in the other room.)