Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_2_] Steve Turner[_2_] is offline

Default Compressor Leakage

Mike wrote:
I have a new Campbell Hausfeld 60 gal. compressor that doesn't want to
maintain any pressure over a period of time. If I run the compressor
and bring it up to pressure, then turn off the motor, within 48 hours
the pressure is down below 20 psi. Obviously, there is a leak
somewhere in one of the connections, or in the tank itself.

I've talked to a contractor buddy that uses several small portable
compressors often, and he tells me that this is normal - not to worry
about it. To me, it seems wrong. I can see if the pressure dropped
down a bit over time, but to completely empty in 2 days?

So, what is a reasonable expectation for a 60 gal compressor holding
pressure?

The tank has a big sticker claiming that it includes on site warranty
service from the manufacturer, should I try to take them up on their
offer?

The first thing coming out of my compressor is a ball and socket cutoff
valve, with the oil/water extractor hanging off of that, followed by the
quick release hose fitting. If I throw the cutoff value to the "off"
position (which I always do when I'm not using it) my compressor will
hold that tank of air until hell freezes over. If not, it will fire up
about once a day (usually at 2:00am in the morning), particularly if a
hose is connected. Those quick-release fittings are not the most
air-tight contraptions on the planet...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/