Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default aluminium door

Stuart Noble wrote:

Have just acquired an Everest white aluminium door which I thought I
might use to replace my ageing wooden back door. 30mm glazing, so
can't be that old.
It comes with an aly surround, but this doesn't have enough rigidity
to call it a frame. I imagine I'm going to have to construct
something out of wood to take it, but in many ways it would be easier
to fix the surround directly to the masonry top and bottom. Is there
any reason why this isn't a good idea?

Most recent aluminium doors come with frames which are designed to fix
straight to brickwork - but previously (20 years ago?) they invariably had
(and needed) hardwood frames between the bricks and the aluminium. How old
is the door which you have acquired?
--
Cheers,
Roger