Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Dedicated Clamping Cauls

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:33:18 GMT, Nova wrote:

I've made clamping cauls with a fair curve on my jointer by raising the
outfeed slightly above the cutter height and keeping pressure on the
infeed table as I pass the stock over the blades. Having the outfeed
table slightly higher than the blades causes the stock to ride up
causing the curve.

The trick is then getting the table back to the proper height to produce
straight cuts. To do this I mark the table at the ways before changing
the height adjustment.

If you're not sure of the outfeed table height there is one sure-fire
way to adjust it dead-on.

Take about a three foot piece of stock that is known to be flat.
Joint about an inch or two and stop. Turn the piece around and start
from the other end and joint the entire piece. If you can still see
the cut from the first end the outfeed table is too high. If you have
totally cut off the cut from the first end the outfeed table is too
low. If you can barely see evidence of the first cut the outfeed
table is, as Goldilocks said, "just right."

G.S.