Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Richards Phil Richards is offline

Default Sub-Floor Ventilation

RubberBiker wrote:
Did the survey actually find evidence of rot in the floor timbers?

No as all the ground floor is carpeted or tiled over.

Probably more important than ventilating the airspace is good drainage
around the building - no adjacent soakaways, or leaking drains, and
the surrounding ground naturally draining away from the building.

Noted. Also no sign of rising damp suggesting the ground below is not
particularly wet?

Other factors will be gaps between floorboards, room ventilation,
floor-coverings and position of furniture - all contributing to the
underfloor space being ventilated by other routes.

The kitchen is fully tiled, the rest of the ground floor reception room
& hall is carpeted. We plan to leave it that way.

Were there any signs that the floorboards had patched repairs -
particularly along on side next to an outer wall?

Not seen as carpeted or tiled over. This is always a disclaimer
surveyors write in as they never lift up floor coverings. I doubt for
one minute a vendor would agree for us to do it.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at: