Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] guillemd@gis.net is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

On Jun 8, 7:06*am, Randy wrote:
This is just too neat to not pass on.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides...d_Sons#The_Man...

no CNC here.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Thanks for the link!

Under the section titled “Later Engines”:” …This system had inherent
advantages over the standard four-stroke engine, as the two-stroke
running enabled a low operating speed (115 rpm), thus eliminating the
requirement for a reduction gearbox between the engine and propeller,
and as the engine was reversible, no reverse gear was required. …”

I found it unusual that a 2-cycle engine would allow them to have a
lower rpm than a 4-cycle one, since most common small 2-cycle engines
are used at higher rpm. But maybe it makes sense in that the power
stroke is spread out more evenly through its cycles.

I wonder how they started or reversed those big ship engines. Did
they use auxiliary engines for this?