Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stu Fields Stu Fields is offline

Default OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stu Fields wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Why not just make one sterotype for both, they are just different
sides of the same coin. Saying you are liberal or conservative means
you giving up on the thought process and rely on faith to guide your
life. It's an easy way to live your life though, imagine trying to
think about questions before answering them, instead of just
regurgitating the party line.

Because it's easier.

C. Northcott Parkinson observed:

"When a member of your party makes a speech, you need only respond
with 'Hear, hear!' and when the opposition party claims the floor,
you need only shout 'Shame! Shame!' "

Politicians like to make their lives easier.

Of course the resorting to the use of Stereotypes does require the
reduction in observing and thinking and being open minded. I was at
a fly-in standing by my little homebuilt helicopter which closely
resembles a Bell 47 when a little middle-aged lady in a print dress
approached. Without consciously doing it I had her as a sunday
school teacher type person. Whooee. She had flown Sky Crane
helicopters doing logging and fire fighting and only had 4500hrs in
the Bell 47. Yes my stereotyping couldn't have been much more wrong.

Each has its place. You'd go nuts trying to get personal with every tree
when you could use the word "forest."

It also saves time.

You are right to a point. Here in this discussion where the individual
characteristics of the "trees" are being discussed, the use of the word
"forest" to describe them would lose a bit. Big difference in Sugar Pine
and Redwood.