Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default cool as hell pictures, ship engines

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:06:54 -0400, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

This is just too neat to not pass on.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides...turing_Process

no CNC here.

Cool as hell is right, Randy. Man, I'd never seen a drill press that
big, but when I saw the guy cutting out the crank webs (1 foot thick
in one pass) with the cutting torch, I was impressed. Oh, later pics
show that it's using a template to guide the torch on its rounds.

Are those half inch thick pieces of swarf the guy is cutting into the
sides of the webs on the mill? Bigass chips, mon. Is that where you
use a face mill or flycutter? (pic with two webs on the table, one
marked 487/56, and the pic below it)

That is a BIG horizontal shaper!

Just think about how many times the folks working with those tools were
asked "So what do you do?" With an answer of "Oh I just operate a lathe,
shaper, cutting torch, with no other explanation regarding the SIZE of
the equipment"

Those are (ahem) large engines!

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh

--
Steve W.