Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Patio Paving

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...

It's up to you.
Pavingexpert and quite a few others say to put them in first and then pave
to them, but I've found that utilising full blocks or flags is easier than
trying to cut a million pieces around an already defined edge

They don't get vibrated down, you vibrate the main body first and then
cement the edgings to that level - this is another bone of contention.
The drawback with doing it this way is that the edges of the main boddy
have to be spragged up, IE braced all around so that they don't creep with
the whacker.
That said, if you put the edges on cement and allow to set and then lay
and whack, the cement will often break up with the vibrations so you've
gained nothing

hmm, i like the idea of putting them on first i think.

By edges I presume you mean borders? - edges are uprights which stand
proud of the finished paving, against lawns, flowerbeds etc

right, so say against my neighbours fence i would have an edge where it
stops before it touches his fence - whereas with my own house the last thing
will just be a border where it touches my house and the house absorbs any
pressure/weight?

what materials is the final layer you use before you put the slabs down?
just sharp sand?