Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Replacing Render

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
One of the walls has got very damp internally and I suspect it's
because of cracked render on the outside. I'm getting the render
repair but was wondering if it's worth hacking off the blown render
and leaving the bricks exposed, as hopefully we'll be getting some
decent weather but at least letting the bricks breathe a bit?

You'd probably have to re-point the wall - and if it was rendered from new
the quality of the bricks, etc, may not be brilliant.

And even if the wall *wasn't* rendered from new, you may find that the
brickwork below is completely trashed by having *been* rendered: when
you hack off the old stuff you may find the underlying bricks to be
indelibly stained with cement, or even wrecked by their faces being
ripped off by being stuck to the render.

David