Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Sony Kp51WS500 really stuck

wrote in message
On Jun 6, 12:19 pm, varocketry wrote:
.

There is a bad picofuse on the power supply board. I previously
mentioned
this possibility in addition to the fuses under the heat sinks.

quote:

"There are some Sony models which get a bad picofuse on a separate power
supply board when the convergence amps fail, in addition to the
picofuses
hiding under the STK's heat sinks"

Mark:

I agree from my reading of extensive discussion at the TECHLORE.com
site. Therer apparently are two (2) PICO Fuses on the G Board that
you haver to check also.

Several indepth articles and discussions on the OSNY convergence
problem, these STK you reference , etc. there. It's a plu, for sure,
but only because it's the best info site on these issues I've found.

I'm repairing my SONY KP-61XBR38 convergence issues now. My set uses
different boards and ICs so it's not as cookie cutter.

Also, the moderators from that site have their own REPAIR KIT website
(tvrepairkits.com) where they bundle all the typical parts, paste, and
INSTRUCTIONS into a kit for hobbyist use.

Hope this helps.

You were very clear Mark but I missed that part of your reply. I saw
the vertically mounted board on the left side. I never checked it
thinking that all pertinent fuses would be on the deflection board. I
remember thinking that there may be a fuse on that board. We'll give
it another shot next week. BTW, what is the trick to removing the HV
wires? Thanks, Lenny.

We have another guy in the field who brings me these boards. There is a tool
he uses to get the high voltage leads out, but can use a drink straw in a
pinch. The straw is slit so as to go around the red wire, pushed down into
the FBT so as to get between the flanged cap on the wire and the surrounding
inner part of the FBT. Pretty tricky though - I hate that kind of thing. On
the rare occasion that I work on the whole TV in the shop, as I recall, I
dismount the HV splitter which allows me more room to stretch the wires, and
just do the soldering etc while sitting there on the floor.

I don't think you need to do this though. Just pull the power supply board,
which does not include the FBT, and replace the picofuse(s).

Mark Z.