Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Unsmoothed car battery charger - is it crap?

On 7 June, 21:17, "Duncan Wood" wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:50:26 +0100, wrote:

"Eddie" wrote in message
m...
My car battery is oversized for the car. *The battery is a bit old
but usually works fine. *The battery is flat (I left the lights
on).

My fancy new modern charger senses a poor battery and only puts in
very little charge.

I used to use a really old charger to charge this battery
successfully. *I opened up the old charger and saw it was only a
transformer and a big rectifier. That's it. *No soothing.

Is this ok for a car battery or is it way too crude?

Check the electrolyte level in your battery.Filtered DC causes *
polarization
of the battery.

Bob

An unpolarised battery isn't much use.