Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default SU7 and tolerances

wrote in message

OK, I got use of a computer with XP and have been learning SU7.
Pretty cool. As a kid, I worked just long enough as a carpenter to be
dangerous, but not to read blueprints. Now I'm trying to create some.
As a mechanical CAD designer, I'm used to working in thousandths of an
inch. I'm sure that level of accuracy is not needed for architectural
drawings. Or is it?

Main question. When I'm creating detailed drawings of the deck I'm
repairing, do I create them using nominal dimensions (2"x4") or actual
dimensions (1-1/2"x3-1/2") for lumber? Seems like it should be the
later, specially for cutting to length. What kinda tolerances are
typical for framing and the like?

nb

Use actual sizes for the materials and cut lengths to the degree of accuracy
that you want to build. The hardest part is remembering to use
"Architectural Lettering" vs. Mechanical Lettering. I took architectural
drafting after mechanical drafting and had a hard time learning to be sloppy
with my lettering. IMHO architectural drawings were closer to "sketches"
when compared to mechanical drawing. ;~)