Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default as I was cleaning my gutters today...

RobertPatrick wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

I was wondering about something. My gutters are the typical aluminum
things, just like you'd find on the shelf at your local big box. Even
the back side of the house, which really has no overhanging trees, had a
lot of garbage in it. I was wondering why the shape of a typical gutter
was the way it was. I would think that something like a half-round
shape would be less likely to clog, as all the garbage would settle to
the very bottom, to be washed away by even a light rain. Without a
regular heavy rain, the flat bottomed gutters would seem to me to be
more susceptible to buildup.

Is my reasoning wrong?

ISTR seeing old copper gutters that were, in fact, a half round shape...

nate

My neighbor has the half round gutters. His house was built in the 1950s.
Come to think of it....my in laws house was built in the 50s and they have
the half round, also. My guess is that the flat bottom kind are easier and
cheaper to make. Those half round type were made out of sturdy metal.

yes, they would have to be much thicker, and possibly have
reinforcements across the top, otherwise they'd collapse when you set a
ladder against them. I thought about that, but I figured the longer
intervals between cleanings would still make them appealing enough to
justify the higher price... or is the hypothetical advantage not as
great as I'm envisioning it to be?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.