Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default as I was cleaning my gutters today...

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 19:45:53 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I was wondering about something. My gutters are the typical aluminum
things, just like you'd find on the shelf at your local big box. Even
the back side of the house, which really has no overhanging trees, had a
lot of garbage in it. I was wondering why the shape of a typical gutter
was the way it was. I would think that something like a half-round
shape would be less likely to clog, as all the garbage would settle to
the very bottom, to be washed away by even a light rain. Without a
regular heavy rain, the flat bottomed gutters would seem to me to be
more susceptible to buildup.

Is my reasoning wrong?

ISTR seeing old copper gutters that were, in fact, a half round shape...

nate

The shape is intended to look like a formal look. It does
provide some stiffing to the product. Half round also collects about
the same amount of trash.

I had a house that had square shaped "gutters" built in as
part of the roof and not added on. The house was over 100 years old
nearly 50 years ago when I moved there. I lived there for about 20
years and they never blocked up or had any problems. If the did clog
it appears they would just wash the blockage over the side.