Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default as I was cleaning my gutters today...

Nate Nagel wrote:
I was wondering about something. My gutters are the typical aluminum
things, just like you'd find on the shelf at your local big box. Even
the back side of the house, which really has no overhanging trees,
had a lot of garbage in it. I was wondering why the shape of a
typical gutter was the way it was. I would think that something like
a half-round shape would be less likely to clog, as all the garbage
would settle to the very bottom, to be washed away by even a light
rain. Without a regular heavy rain, the flat bottomed gutters would
seem to me to be more susceptible to buildup.

Is my reasoning wrong?

ISTR seeing old copper gutters that were, in fact, a half round
shape...

My cedar gutters are round inside, and they still clog. I don't think the shape
will make significant difference. Mine are easier to clean, since there are no
ferrules or anything else to obstruct the passage of tools, or in my case, my 10
foot air nozzle I use to blow them out in one pass.