Posted to rec.woodworking
digitect digitect is offline

Default SU7 and tolerances

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 20:40:35 -0600, notbob wrote:

OK, I got use of a computer with XP and have been learning SU7. Pretty
cool. As a kid, I worked just long enough as a carpenter to be
dangerous, but not to read blueprints. Now I'm trying to create some.
As a mechanical CAD designer, I'm used to working in thousandths of an
inch. I'm sure that level of accuracy is not needed for architectural
drawings. Or is it?

Main question. When I'm creating detailed drawings of the deck I'm
repairing, do I create them using nominal dimensions (2"x4") or actual
dimensions (1-1/2"x3-1/2") for lumber? Seems like it should be the
later, specially for cutting to length. What kinda tolerances are
typical for framing and the like?

nb

Draw all the members actual size (not nomimal). Make general dimensions
work out to the inch, and details to the nearest 1/4" or at least 1/8".
It also helps to understand the nominal sizes for materials so you don't
pay premiums for having to buy the next biggest size (e.g., floor joists
12'-2" long require splices, intermediate girders, or buying 14' long
members.)