Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to build a raised garden

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 5, 8:50 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
bob haller wrote:

DONT USED TREATED LUMBER FOR VEGETABLES GARDENS.

Although they claim its safe they said that same thing about the
old chemicals now banned!

-snip-
If you're concerned about the treated wood leaching chemicals into
the soil, line the raised planter walls with plastic.

I think Bob has a good point. That's why we used cedar- but cypress
or redwood would work. Call a local mill for the best prices--
you don't need kiln dried or dressed lumber- and D grade is fine to
just hold the dirt in.

Our local yard carries 1x12 red cedar, dressed one side, that is
called D, but I've gotten some boards that the borg would have called
'select'. It is about the same price per board foot as PT.

The reason redwood and cedar are effective is that the wood itself contains
substances incompatible with animal life. If it kills bugs, can it be
harmless to humans?

Answer: Sure. No human ever died, or even got sick, from DDT.