Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default epoxy bonding or weld?

Kyle wrote:
On Jun 4, 1:54 pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:50 pm, Kyle wrote:

Have browsed the group's posts looking for a solution to a railing
problem, but need some clarification and advise.

An iron stair rail on the back porch of a house we own has come
loose. There appears to be a steel plate anchored into the concrete
of the bottom step and the iron post was held to it by some sort of
metal- like caulk (as best I can describe it). The two have
separated and the rail is shaky.

I need to repair this soon because the family living there has two
young girls - late elementary school age - and I don't want this
railing to be a hazard for them.

The perfect solution would be to have a mobile welding shop come
weld the two together once and for all. Cost (I'm guestimating)
around $150-200.

Another approach would be to attempt to bond the post and plate
together, perhaps with an epoxy resin, including even wrapping it
with a fiberglass mesh to create a "shoe" the post would be held in.

Would that second solution be sufficient to provide a reasonable
expectation of the railing holding the weight of someone leaning on
it or bumping against it?

Weld it yourself for
$69.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55060

Oh, COOL. When my father was in sales he was certified as an
instructor in MIG and TIG and can probably teach me the fundamentals.

I'm sure it comes with an instruction book.

Note the power requirements - (up to) 65 amps.