Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Vertex water heater source?

On Jun 5, 7:31*am, " wrote:
Thinking of replacing my old tank with a vertex, which now qualifies
for FED tax credit on cost of unit 30%

Wierdly a local installer quoted me on the phone $2,200 installed but
on line pricing for just the tank is right about this price.

Honestly I am not convinced it will save much money once the higher up
front cost is taken into account But the recovery is awesome.

My existing tank is a 50 gallon 75,000 BTU one, they are low efficency
fast recovery.

I am re configuring the basement a little and doing some sewer work
and want to replace the tank this summer

besides my chimney needs the top rebuilt, so the direct vent tank will
make the chimney work low priority.

chimney will be unused, it was for furnace and watewr heater both will
be direct vent, furnace replaced last year

Wholesale cost on that unit is roughly $1,700, give or take. Remember
that the tax credit is on the installed cost, not the unit alone as
you stated. But still, you have a valid concern on the overall cost
savings, especially with natural gas costs as low as they are right
now.

JK