Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Plastics failure mechanism

Sylvia Else wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
I've never seen reference to this mechanism, so transcribed and placed
here.

From (UK) Hacker GP42 record player of 1966, technical bulletin, not
dated
but probably close to '66

"Investigation over a period of time of reports of knob breakages have
shown
that the adhesive used to fix the chrome trim has affected the
material and
caused the knob to fracture after a period of time. A further
investigation
by the manufacturers disclosed that the material used in one batch of
knobs
was an incorrect type. DIAKON was the material specified and
POLYSTYRENE was
used in error. Unfortunately there is no way in which we can easily
differentiate between these materials other than by a flame test. "

Where I used to work , there was a flow-chart wall-chart for identifying
plastics by flame test, smell/smoke character when burnt and other basic
characteristics, anyone know of a WWW version somewhere?

I'm sure modern health and safety departments would have kittens at the
thought of an employee deliberately igniting plastics for the purpose of
determining the resulting smell.

Yeah, same here. The closest I can recall seeing to that was a US army
tech guide for identifying metals based on the kind of sparks you got
when you hit it with an angle-grinder.