Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 2-way GPS . . . ?

Stealth Pilot wrote:

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:22:27 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Excite today carried a piece re. the S. American crash and location of planes over the ocean. It
went on to say that radar can't see beyond about 200 miles (let alone the fact that bending radar
coverage beyond LOS is pretty remarkable in its own right).

standard radar is line of sight.
we australians have an over the horizon radar which is pretty
remarkable.
I think our guys lead the world with the technology.

the first RADAR systems used in W.W.II was over the horizon, but it
wasn't intended to be. Quite a few 'Ghost fleets' were spotted, and
according to their displays, it should have been plainly visible, when
in fact they were well outside the design range. Then reports came in
of enemy ships being spotted at exactly one or two times the displayed
distance. They finally determined it was due to the low frequency that
the early RADAR systems used.