Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default a better incandescent light bulb

Mark Rand wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 08:04:12 -0700, Winston wrote:

What was this 'similar process'? I'll bet you a dollar that it was
localized heating of a metal sample to grow a color-reflective
oxide layer. How is that related to the process of vaporizing a tiny
chunk out of a tungsten filament?

My point is that there is no relationship between these two
concepts other than one can use heat in specific forms
to accomplish them.

--Winston

Your arguments appear to be approaching blind denial of the claimed effect.

I prefer to think of it as 'informed denial of the claimed effect'.

What claim do I deny?

The claim, IIRC is that one can make a light bulb universally 'better'
by exposing it's filament to laser light, because the resulting roughened
surface somehow causes it to convert electrical power into visible -
frequency photon emission more efficiently than does the smoother
un-modified filament, without any change in the cross sectional area
of the filament anywhere along it's length.

I don't deny that you can shift the average color temperature of the bulb
upwards towards blue without increased bulb power by thinning the filament,
but I do deny that the effect is produced by anything other than
merely thinning the filament.

I also deny that laser beam exposure 'improves' the bulb because it will
significantly decrease the amount of time that the lamp remains functional
as compared to it's lifetime had it not been exposed.

A bulb design that fails significantly more often than average is not a
better design. It is a worse design even if it is more efficient during
it's short stay in the socket.

Have a look at a butterfly wing under an electron microscope and you'll get a
better idea of what's going on.

Iridescence?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescent

Can you help me understand your point, please?

Are you saying that the iridescent surface of soap bubbles, butterfly wings
and the inside of abalone shells make them more intense visible light
sources than river rocks, blades of grass or concrete slabs for example?

I deny that, too.

--Winston

--

We now return you to the economic collapse, already in progress.