Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default a better incandescent light bulb

On Jun 5, 3:03*am, Winston wrote:

I respectfully disagree.

*Our researchers cleverly implied that
changing the thickness of a metal oxide layer (and the resulting
emissivity changes) had something to do with the changes
in the light bulb but the two effects are quite different and
have nothing to do with each other, IMHO.

The filament is in a vacuum. Heating it does not cause it's
surface to mix more readily with oxygen because there is no
oxygen to speak of, in the vicinity of the filament.

I did not note any reference to " metal oxide layer "

So if one modified the surface of the filament so
that it would radiate less IR and more visible light, the light bulb
be more efficient.

Theoretically, I agree. *This isn't what our researchers were doing,
however.

Hmmm. I thought the whole article was about how the researchers were
modifying the surface of the filament.

Dan

--Winston

--

We now return you to the economic collapse, already in progress.