Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_3_] Graham.[_3_] is offline

Default More ecobollox

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
what these do is deliver full power to the fridge during startup, then
reign power back by chopping the waveform to reduce consumption once
the compressor is running. They do work. Theyre increasingly becoming
incompatible with new machines that already have such tech built in
though.

Hmm. If you reduce the power to the compressor motor surely it will just
run longer to achieve the desired temperature? And likely with the motor
being not as efficient too, since they're designed for a sine wave. Then
there will be the heat produced by the chopper inside the magic plug.

I was sceptical until I saw them in use in a supermarket, (Iceland I think)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%