Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More ecobollox

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Watched a TV show t'other night called 'I didn't know that' or something,
anywho it was a 'green' episode.

The two presenters called in a 'green consultant' A Sloan ranger called
Gimima/Cordelia/Arabella or similar.

She went around the house making suggestions about how to reduce energy
costs, obviously educated well beyond her natural intelligence.

One of the first things she suggested was a 'Savaplug' to reduce the
electricity consumed by the fridge. Sounded like pure snake oil to me.

what these do is deliver full power to the fridge during startup, then
reign power back by chopping the waveform to reduce consumption once
the compressor is running. They do work. Theyre increasingly becoming
incompatible with new machines that already have such tech built in
though.

Its become an industry this green movement. Think I might set up as The
Medway Green Consultant & go around spouting rubbish for suitably high fees.

an industry that costs the country left right and centre.

NT