Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Urgent Blocked drain

Exhausted wrote:
My drain from the kitchen to the main drain is blocked. It looks like
it’s down to hard fat … AGAIN……….

Last time, I removed the fat by putting on a long glove and putting my
hand down the drain and then up the u bend and scraping the fat with a
piece of old electric cable from an old shower. This worked, but was
especially nasty when I got some of the drain water up my glove.
Despite telling swimbo not to wash fat down the kitchen drain the drain
is blocked again. Not wanting to repeat the experience I made the
mistake of believing the guy in the diy store when they recommended a
chemical to pour down the drain to clear the fat, despite several
attempts no luck. Subsequently I have added 1KG of caustic soda, still
nothing.
My problem is now I don’t have the option of putting my hand down the
drain. What can I do?
I tried jet washing from the man hold last time to no avail. All I can
think of is digging up the patio and drilling a hole in the pipe to
allow me to put a piece of metal in the pipe to break up the fat.

Any other ideas, apart from replacing the pipe.

Thanks

What about a plumbers snake? If you undo the u-bend / trap wearing
gloves to avoid any caustic, then you could push the snake into the
waste pipe and slowly rotate it as you push it in. It should push
straight through the fat and hopefully dislodge it, or at least make a
hole the caustic soda can get through. After that maybe some very hot
water would soften it enough to clear it out.

Wickes sell the plumbers snakes, probably other sheds too and they
aren't too expensive. A lot less hassle and cheaper than digging up the
drive!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.