Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Standard Incandescent vs. Halogen Lumens Output

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 02:31:03p, Don Klipstein told us...

In article 7, Wayne
Boatwright wrote:

I want to use a medium base halogen light bulb where I have previously
used both a standard incandescent as well as a CFL. The size
restriction of the fixture dictates that the envelope be no larger than
a 60 watt incandescent bulb. I believe the recommended maximum wattage
is also listed as 60 watts.

I need more light from this fixture. Is there a chart or "rule of
thumb" comparing the light output in lumens of regular incandescent and
halogen bulbs? I've tried using Google, but haven't found exactly what
I'm looking for.

60 watt incandescents vary from 600 to 890 lumens, depending on life
expectancy, filament design, and quality. Lumens for "general purpose"
lightbulbs are generally stated on the package.

Ones of "Big 3" manufacture (including ones with "store brand"
labeling) and rated to last 1000 hours typically produce 840-890 lumens.

60 watt 120V halogens in "A19" and similar bulbs produce 840 to 965
lumens. 965 lumens is output of Sylvania's 60A/HAL/F 120V, probably
best-available from electric/lighting supply shops that carry Sylvania
products - even then likely by special order in packages of 12.

The highest wattage CFL that does not produce more convected/conducted
heat than a 60 watt incandescent is 40 watts - which produces about 2600
lumens (or a little less). CFLs over 23 watts often overheat if
operated base-up or where heat accumulates around them. A 23 watt CFL
produces typically 1600 lumens, maybe closer to 1450 "in average age and
condition".

In small enclosed fixtures and recessed ceiling fixtures, CFLs not
rated
for use in such fixtures can overheat, especially if of wattage over 14
watts. (Non-spiral ones up to 18 watts in my experience have a fair to
high rate of ding OK in recessed ceiling fixtures).

Philips SLS ("triple arch") non-dimmable up to 23 watts was rated for
use in recessed ceiling fixtures last time I checked.

(Wondering how a CFL can be more efficient than an incandescent at
both
producing light and heating a fixture? The answer is that CFLs produce
little infrared while incandescents and halogens produce a lot of
infrared - which becomes heat where it is absorbed, mostly outside the
fixture.)

- Don Klipstein )

A lot of good information, Don. Thanks... I'm currently using the maximum
physical size of CFL that will fit in the fixture, but it doesn't produce
enough light. IIRC, it's a 13 watt spiral.

The fixture is a suspended ceiling mount bowl-shaped stained glass with the
bulb socket suspended from a rod in the center. There isn't a lot of
clearance between the socket and bottom of the bowl.

The other issue is that a CFL dulls the color of the glass. A clear bulb
of some sort is preferable. The largest incandescent I can fit in it is a
60 watt. I've seen clear decorative halogen lights used in wall-mounted
porch lights and the light was clear and brilliant. The envelope would
fit, too. That might be worth a shot.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Soup is liquid comfort. ~Author Unknown