Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Two dehumidifiers lasted only around 2 years each (yikes!)

On Jun 4, 12:53*pm, "
wrote:
There is something wrong with my multimeter. *It is giving readings too high
(as high as 170). *Same thing happens when I hook the multimeter up to
portable power device (the kind with a 12V battery and a power inverter).
Do multimeters give too high readings when they have been used too much?

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Jun 3, 9:05 pm, "
wrote:

How do I check the voltage level during operation? Do I connect a
multimeter to the 2nd free socket in the outlet that the unit is plugged
into? Or is it sufficient to check the voltage on the outlet when nothing
is plugged in.

J.
Better check your AC voltage level when they are operating. Sounds like
you have insufficient voltage and is causing the compressor to lag and
there for running hot.. Also uses more energy that way, higher cost of
operation.- Hide quoted text -

Yes - Check the other outlet of the pair when it is running, that is
when there is a load on the circuit. *That does assume both outlets
are on the same feeder, which is the normal case unless there is
special wiring for a non-standard load. * Voltage when not running is
almost meaningless, but check that it is between 115 and 125 volts no
load to ensure that the multimeter is working reasonably accurately.

Gi buy a new meter. The battery is used only for the ohms/continuity
check. You can get a simple meter for under $10.00