Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Entertainment Center

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Only the TV and game systems will be fully enclosed. The other
equipment will be on the top and completely open. Even so, the TV
doesn't seem to put out much heat (I just checked), but will have
plenty of free space around it.

You may want to recheck that. After my 46" Sharp LCD TV has been on
for ten minutes or so, I can feel a substantial amount of heat
emanating from the screen when I hold my hand within 6" of it. Newer
models of LCD TVs may be an improvement in the heat dissipation field,
but my TV is about 18 months old and was a current model when I bought
it.

This is an old Toshiba projection TV. We bought it used, and it's
probably 10 years old by now. My quick check indicates no significant
heat output.

A new LCD TV might have some heat issues, but probably will have a gap
around it on three sides. If that's not enough, a PC style cooling fan
could be rigged up to provide quiet active cooling. (I have a computer
next to the TV; power wouldn't be a problem.)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking