Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Entertainment Center

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:No2Wl.340$tr5.216
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Only the TV and game systems will be fully enclosed.

Why not cut an opening in the back and cover it with a screen that
maybe you build
a little frame around.

If I take the 2 1/8" hole saw (amazing how useful that thing's been), I
could bore several holes near the bottom to run cables through. This
would have the added benefit of allowing some additional air flow. (I
might also add an access door so I can get to the connections without the
"ring around the rosie" dance.)

Back in ancient times when vacuum tubes were used, decorative
screens were a common way to get air flow and reduce heat in radio and
TV equipment.

They're very commonly used in speakers now. The E/C upstairs had a glass
panel that was replaced with the included screen for the speakers.

If you use 3/4" material, you could rest the shelves on those pins
that fit in 1/4" holes on the sides to make shelves adjustable.

That's a pretty good idea. Should this current TV die, it will
undoutably be replaced by a LCD TV which doesn't have the extra 30" of
height that this one does. An adjustable center shelf would make
replacement easier.

My bet is the E/C will out live the electronics by a bunch, but then
I've been wrong beforegrin

You're right on that. Adding some doors and another shelf or two turns
the entertainment center into a whole different piece of furniture. :-)

Have fun.

Thanks. I think I enjoy the design part just as much, if not more, than
the actual building.

Lew

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking