Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.tech
HLS HLS is offline

Default Hard starting Briggs & Stratton 3.0 hp lawnmower engine

"muzician21" wrote in message
I got a new diaphragm, but looking at the old diaphragm, it looks to
be intact and in good shape. The material still seems pliable, I held
it up to a light and can't find any breaks in it, including where the
choke plate rod is attached.

##### Look... When this sort of thing happens, most of us want to fix it,
not to analyze it. I have had it happen lots of times over the years, and
it
is usually because of crud buildup in the fuel and/or the diaphragm. I have
found that you save time by cleaning out the tank, cleaning the carb, and
replacing the diaphragm. You can do this in a half hour in most cases.
The diaphragm, IIRC, is not a ballbuster in price.

The longer of the two pickup tubes had a fair amount of crud on the
screen, which I've cleaned off.

##### And this is also not unusual, especially when one has starting
problems.

Gonna put it back together with the
old diaphragm and see if it starts any easier with that pickup cleaned
off. If it does, I'll store the new diaphragm in the refrigerator for
future use.

#### You must like to work on these engines.
I normally keep one or two of the diaphragms around. But I wouldnt put an
old
one back in for anything. It is a waste of time to fiddlefart with this
unless
you have a lot more expensive diaphragm that I am accustomed to buying.
Or have a lot of time on your hands