Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Regular bulbs (almost) as good as CFLs

In ,
RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 4, 9:49*am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
RicodJour wrote in part:

Anyway, I'm all for efficiency as long as it is real efficiency and
doesn't come with serious "side effects". *The mercury in CFLs being
one of them.

* Replacing incandescents with CFLs, where CFLs work well (not fridges or
motion sensor lights), actually gives a net reduction of mercury
contribution to the environment by reducing coal burning. *On average, the
coal saved by using a CFL in place of an incandescent has more mercury
than the CFL has.

Yes, I understand that part, but it's the disposal I'm talking
about...well, that and the fact that I am not getting the claimed life
out of the CFLs I've been buying, so that skews the calculation.

* Meanwhile, there are safe ways to dispose of dead CFLs. *Last time I
heard, Home Depot accepts them. *Also, for local legal requirements as
well as for good ways to get rid of them, there is www.lamprecycle.org

Right. I collect the dead bulbs and bring them in, but I'm sure most
people just toss them in the trash.

Although the calculation is affected by CFLs failing to meet claimed
life expectancy, they otherwise reduce mercury contribution to the
environment even if all of their mercury goes into the environment.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of experience with CFLs - not only mine, but
also ones other than mine. My experience is that average life expectancy
is not short by much.

Short life expectancy mostly occurs when:

* CFLs not rated for small enclosed fixtures, especially if over 15 watts,
are used in small enclosed fixtures.

* CFLs not rated for use in recessed ceiling fixtures, especially if over
18 watts (over 14 watts if spiral), are used in recessed ceiling fixtures.

* CFLs are used where on-time is brief, such as motion sensor lights and
restrooms used mainly for short trips.

* The CFLs are dollar store stool specimens. I have also had bad
experience with Lights of America until I pretty much stopped using them
in 2001.
Better to get one having the "Energy Star" logo or one of a "Big 3"
brand (GE, Philips, Sylvania), preferably both.
You may want one of the many now coming with a limited warranty (save
both the receipt and packake UPC code, and something to trace which bulb
each is for).

- Don Klipstein )