Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Seeking an explanation or theory

I am not trying to be argumentative, I appreciate your input and
that of everyone else. But if the memory were defective, why
would it operate correctly with either 1 GB stick, but not both?

Good question. Does the computer support two 1GB sticks of that memory type?
Also, does it matter which stick goes in which slot?

You needn't reply; I'm just asking questions.

As I said, I am curious as to why it behaved as it did.

And I didn't fully understand what you were getting at.