Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Seeking an explanation or theory

William Sommerwerck wrote:
To the extent that I understand your problem, I think it's a non-problem.

I agree, I do not have a problem. I am just curious as to why the
computer behaved as it did. Call me overly aggressive, but I like to
come away from a problem with an explanation to a solution. In most
cases when you find the solution you are able to understand why it
behaved as it did.

In general, it's not enough to simply shut down the machine. Before doing
any work, you should throw the "standby" switch on the back to "off", and
wait for the green LED to go out. Then, and only then, should you swap
cards, update memory, etc.

I do not dispute your point. That IS the best way. But in this case a
complete removal of power (such as a power failure) forces the power
supply to continually cycle with no way to interrupt it. Even the reset
button would not interrupt it.

If the machine still boots correctly when its original memory is installed,
then there is nothing wrong with the machine. If the machine does not boot
correctly when the new memory is installed (the standby power off), then
either the memory is defective, or it is not the appropriate memory for that
machine.

I am not trying to be argumentative, I appreciate your input and that
of everyone else. But if the memory were defective, why would it
operate correctly with either 1 GB stick, but not both??

In short (no joke intended), I don't think you have a problem. At least, not
with the computer itself. I would not, at this time, worry about "why".

As I said, I am curious as to why it behaved as it did.