Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Seeking an explanation or theory

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:43:49 -0500, Ken wrote:

Why did the computer fail to behave properly ONLY when power was
completely removed and ONLY when two 1 GB sticks of PC3200 were
installed???? Since it is no longer a problem, I am curious to
understand what might have been happening. Any theories???

Either you blew something by plugging the ram in while the standby
power was on or the new ram requires more standby power than the power
supply can produce.

This makes the most sense. I am not sure the standby current is listed
for either PS on the label. Each rail is, but not the standby current.

As for blowing something, both sticks work just fine. In fact, I took
one stick I had replaced with a 512MB one and placed it in my current
computer when I saw a possibility existed for a problem when a total
power shut down occurred. Both sticks are working just fine right now.

Standby power is low and you 300W psu may not have
a higher current rating for standby than the 250W one, it may be that
only the 5v or 12v rails can give more power. The labels on the psu
usually have the ratings for each rail.

Have you tried both 1GB sticks with a 512MB one and they both give the
same symptoms?

Yes, it did not matter which 1GB stick was used. They behaved the same
way.