Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd fence post mix?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doing a fencing job at the mo, and its being a right embuggerance.

Posts are rotten at ground level & seem to be embedded in a mixture of
hardcore & dry mix sand/cement. The hardcore breaks out OK but the
crumbly dry mix is a PITA.

Using a big breaker (hired) but whats happening is that the point
digs into the crumbly stuff for about 2" then jams & has be pulled
out. You have to hold the breaker back to stop the point sticking.

I think I've sussed this out. Anyone remember an old 'schoolboy' bet where
you lifted a glass of sand with a table knife? It was something to do with
the knife being plunged up & down until the sand compressed around the
blade.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk