Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Regular bulbs (almost) as good as CFLs

On 6/4/2009 6:13 AM RicodJour spake thus:

On Jun 4, 2:24 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I work on lots of houses that still have (and are still using) knob &
tube wiring. But invariably if there's a dimmer switch, it's the
"modren" triac type, not some kind of ancient rheostat.

This is interesting - there seems to be some confusion. Maybe you can
help me.

Well, you wrote, and I quote:

There are plenty of older houses around here with old
wiring, old fixtures, and old dimmers.

As you noted, our experiences differ: I've *never* seen an old (i.e.,
non-triac) dimmer in a house with old wiring and old fixtures. And I've
worked on plenty such houses (in the SF Bay Area). Maybe it's a
geographical difference.